Fowler Class 5XP/6P "Patriot"
Un-rebuilt "Patriot" No. 45506 "The Royal Pioneer Corps" at Crewe North (Photo courtesy of Colin Williams)
Introduced : 1930
No. Built : 52+1 built in preservationWheel arrangement : 4-6-0
The Patriot class was an attempt to improve the ex-LNWR "Claughton" locomotives, and was officially a hybrid of the Claughton and the Royal Scot class, theoretically taking the boiler from the former and the chassis from the latter. Initially two Claughtons were rebuilt, although by the time these "rebuilds" were completed, only a few sundry Claughton components were used. Testing showed the Patriots to be superior to the Claughtons and as a result 40 more "rebuilds" were ordered (although they were effectively new locomotives), followed by a final batch of 10, which the LMS finally recognised as new locomotives.
The class acquired the unofficial name "Baby Scots", which didn't really meet with official approval. However it was suggested that the name "Patriot" could be transferred from the LNWR War Memorial locomotive which was due for scrapping and the prototype locomotive was duly christened as such.
The main batch of 40 locomotives were under construction when William Stanier took over as CME in 1932. Despite having his own 5XP "Jubilee" class locomotive under construction, he permitted the continued construction of the Patriots, although he did have some modifications made to the design.
In 1945, 18 members of the class were rebuilt with new boilers (the same as those fitted to the rebuilt "Royal Scot" class), which brought their power classification up to 6P. The class was withdrawn between 1961 and 1966, with none of the original locomotives surviving into preservation.
As previously stated, none of the class originally survived into preservation. However, one has been constructed by the LMS-Patriot Society and is expected to become operational by 2020.